Melbourne City FC is pleased to announce the signing of Chilean defender, Vicente Fernández.
The 24-year-old left-back joins the Club as a free agent for the remainder of the 2023/24 season, subject to international clearance.
A skilful left-back with plenty of pace, Fernández has spent a large part of his career playing in his home country of Chile.
He is a player who can provide strong defensive cover but also brings the ability to get forward with pace, showing natural attacking instinct.
Fernández has made 89 appearances in the Chilean first tier and has passed off six assists since his professional debut in 2018.
His signing adds further depth to City’s defensive stocks following last week’s departure of Aziz Behich on loan to Cristiano Ronaldo’s Al-Nassar until the end of the season.
Melbourne City FC Director of Football, Michael Petrillo, said:
“Vicente is an attacking left back with good experience at some of the best clubs in Chile. Technically good on the ball, he has genuine pace with the ability to run at players and get forward to provide good crosses.
“He is defensively good in 1v1 situations and as a naturally left-footed player, he adds further depth to our left side.
“Given the very short time frame we had to replace Aziz, we’re delighted to have been able to secure a player of his quality so quickly.”
Vicente Fernández said:
“I’m really excited by this opportunity to join a team like Melbourne City which has had so much success in recent years.
“It’s an exciting new challenge for me and I can’t wait to get to Australia to meet my new teammates and get to work.”
City fan’s first opportunity to see Fernandez in action will be the hotly anticipated Melbourne Derby next Saturday February 17 at AAMI Park, with the Chilean expected to be available for selection.