A-League Report: City 0-3 Perth


Melbourne City has suffered its first home defeat of the season, losing to Perth Glory 0-3 at AAMI Park.

Despite controlling possession for long periods of the game, City couldn’t find a way onto the scoresheet with the Glory taking all three points.

Former City striker Bruno Fornaroli headed home the opener in the first half before a Harrison Delbridge own goal and a Tomislav Mrcela header in the second 45 minutes sealed a Glory win

Team news

Connor Metcalfe returned from injury to take his place in the starting XI, replacing Dennis Genreau. Richard Windbichler returned to the squad and was named amongst the substitutes.

What happened?

Melbourne City looked immediately comfortable after the opening whistle and took control of the game early in front of their home supporters.

Javier Cabrera put a well-placed cross into the box just four minutes in, but Jamie Maclaren couldn’t turn his effort from a tight angle on target.

Rostyn Griffiths looked to be creative early and put his teammates through to attacking positions with lofted through balls but just couldn’t quite find the killer pass as the Glory defence was up to the challenge.

Diego Castro almost opened the scoring for Perth on the 17th minute mark when a Dean Bouzanis attempted pass went astray and ended up at his feet.

The Spaniard’s effort at a virtually open goal flew over the bar but just ten minutes later, the Glory were able to take the lead through Fornaroli.

A shot from Juande was well blocked by Connor Metcalfe but the deflection looped up towards the six-yard box where Fornaroli was able to beat Harrison Delbridge to the ball and nod it past Bouzanis into the back of the net.

Despite still controlling possession as they had earlier in the half, City didn’t look like posing a threat to the Glory back four for the rest of the opening 45 minutes.

The lead was doubled less than two minutes into the second half.

Delbridge attempted to clear a Wuhtrich effort at goal but could only succeed in finding the back of his own net.

City had plenty of possession following the second goal but couldn’t find any way to penetrate Glory’s back five.

The lead became three goals in the 71st minute when Tomislav Mrcela’s header found the back of the net following a corner.

City pushed to draw s gosl back in the latter stages but still weren’t able to create a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

What’s next?

City will be back on the road for the third time in four games when it travels to Newcastle to take on the Jets next Sunday night. City will return home the following week to host Victory in the Christmas derby, you can get your tickets here!