A-League Report: City 1-1 Western Sydney


Melbourne City FC has continued its unbeaten run recording a 1-1 draw with Western Sydney Wanderers at AAMI Park on Saturday night.

Tate Russell opened the scoring for the Wanderers before Jamie Maclaren hit back from the penalty spot before half time. In a fairly defensive second period, neither side was able to find a winner. 

City next head to Central Coast Stadium on Friday 20 March to take on the Mariners in Round 24.

Starting XI

Suspended duo Rostyn Griffiths and Adrian Luna were replaced by Harrison Delbridge and Lachlan Wales respectively.


What happened?

In cool conditions at AAMI Park, Erick Mombaerts’ side looked to the early ascendency at home.

Within the first four minutes of play Jamie Maclaren’s effort deflected behind for a corner before Craig Noone’s cross found Lachlan Wales at the back post whose resulting header was wide.

In the 21st minute the visitors broke the deadlock as a neat combination between Nicolai Muller and Tate Russell resulted in the latter opening the scoring.

Despite falling behind at home, City hit back from the penalty spot eight minutes later. Craig Noone’s dangerous run lead to him being fouled in the penalty area, before Maclaren stepped up to the spot, making no mistake to level the scores.

With no clear-cut chances for the remainder of the half at either end, the teams went into the break all square.

Unlike the first period, the second half kicked off as a tough arm wrestle with neither side able to wrestle the early ascendency.

In the 69th minute, the Wanderers looked destined to restore the lead as a mix up between Curtis Good and Tom Glover saw Simon Cox in on an open goal only for Good to swoop in with a remarkable tackle to save the certain goal on the goal line.

With eight minutes to play City found a sight on goal via Noone, although his glancing header flashed wide and drifted to safety for the visitors. Second half substitute Connor Metcalfe then tried his luck from range, but the Wanderers defence stood tall to block the youngster. 

In the 90th minute Cox earned his side a corner as his effort fierce effort forced a deflection, but the Wanderers were unable to convert as both sides were forced to settle for a share of the points following a solid defensive display. 

What’s next?

Melbourne City FC are back on the road, taking on Central Coast Mariners at Central Coast Stadium on Friday 20 March, kick off 7:30pm.