A-League Report: City 1-1 Adelaide


Melbourne City FC has earned a share of the spoils against Adelaide United with a second-half strike to new signing Jamie Maclaren at AAMI Park on Saturday night. 

The Reds opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time, as Craig Goodwin latched onto Nikola Mileusnic’s cross with a fierce header.

In the 69th minute, City hit back as Jamie Maclaren struck on debut, combining with Luke Brattan to make it 1-1 with a neat flick. 

City return to action when they take on Newcastle at McDonald Jones Stadium next Friday 15 February. 

Team news

New signings Jamie Maclaren and Shayon Harrison were named to make their starting debuts in City blue, as Kearyn Baccus missed the clash through an accumulation of yellow cards and Rostyn Griffiths through an injury picked up at training.

What happened?

After a wet and windy afternoon in Melbourne, the weather cleared as both sides took to the field of play at AAMI Park.

Following an even start to proceedings, the opening chance of the match fell to Curtis Good on the 10th minute mark. New recruit Shay Harrison skipped past two Reds defenders before drawing a foul 35 yards from goal. Florin Berenguer stepped up to take, as his deflected cross fell to Good whose header from close range was skied over the crossbar.

With 10 minutes to play in the first-half the game began to open up after a tight tussle to begin with. Good played the ball through to Harrison who took a deft first touch before finding Berenguer, whose effort was missed.

In the 42nd minute the ball fell to Luke Brattan on the edge of the area, although his powerful low drive was just wide. Adelaide hit back on the counter, as Nikola Mileusnic found Craig Goodwin, who nodded home from close range.

City pressed hard as the half concluded, but were unable to level the scores as chances to new signings Maclaren and Harrison failed to eventuate.

As the second-half commenced, the hosts came out of the blocks eager to work their way back into the contest. The opening 15-minutes saw chances fall to Harrison and Delbridge, but both efforts were placed over the crossbar. The first a well-timed volley from Harrison before Debridge’s towering header was placed high.

With just over 20 minutes to play Jamie Maclaren sparked City into action, notching his first goal in City blue to level the scores.  Brattan showed great composure to find the attacker who beat Adelaide shot-stopper Paul Izzo with a neat flick from close range. 

With half chances at both ends in the closing 15 minutes of play, neither side was able to capitalise, as the two top-four aspirants were forced to earn a share of the spoils. 

What’s next?

City face two trips on the road, taking on Newcastle Jets at McDonald Jones Stadium next Friday 15 February, before playing Melbourne Victory at Marvel Stadium in Round 20. Joyce’s side return to AAMI Park on Sunday 3 March, when they host Perth Glory.