A-League Report: City 1 Brisbane 0


Melbourne City FC has secured its third consecutive win with a 1-0 win over Brisbane Roar at AAMI Park.

Defender turned attacker Ritchie De Laet found the breakthrough in the 52nd minute, latching onto Rostyn Griffiths’ cross with a perfectly timed volley to hand the hosts the lead.

City will look to continue the winning momentum when they take on Central Coast Mariners at Central Coast Stadium on Wednesday 16 January, before returning to AAMI Park to host Perth Glory next Saturday 19 January.

Team news

Head Coach Warren Joyce made two changes to the starting XI, with Curtis Good and Rostyn Griffiths replacing Nathaniel Atkinson and Osama Malik.

Dario Vidosic made his way onto the bench after recovering from his hip injury.

What happened?

Under the lights of AAMI Park in perfect conditions for football, Head Coach Warren Joyce’s side looked to wrestle the early ascendency against the side from the Sunshine State.

Inside the opening two minutes of play City’s attacking intent was on show, as Riley McGree flashed a dangerous cut back across the area. Six-minutes later the ball fell to Luke Brattan, whose deflected strike drifted over the bar.

In the 14th minute City were dealt an early blow, as in-form attacker Riley McGree made way for Nathaniel Atkinson following an early challenge that he was unable to shake.

City continued to press as the corridor opened up for Lachlan Wales, before he was denied by a well-timed save from Jamie Young.

With seven minutes of regulation time to play until the half-time break, City went inches away from breaking the deadlock. Brattan pierced the defensive gap, before Harrison Delbridge swung in a brilliant cross that missed Atkinson’s head by a matter of inches.

In the 42nd minute, Brattan delivered a dangerous corner which was met by a towering Rostyn Griffiths header. Although much to Brisbane’s delight, the ball drifted just shy of the top corner.

Two-minutes later it was Griffiths involved again, this time rocketing an effort from just over 30-yards, stinging the palms of Young and falling to safety.

Just as they did in the first, City began the second-half on the front foot, pressing to break the deadlock. In the 51st minute, captain Scott Jamison tried his luck with a fierce effort only to be denied by an impressive save from Young.

Moments later City opened the scoring through Ritchie De Laet, who met Griffiths’ pin-point cross with a perfectly-timed volley to fire the hosts ahead.

Brisbane pressed the hosts in the closing 10-minutes, but Joyce’s side stood tall, withstanding the pressure to secure the points.

What’s next?

City face a short turnaround before traveling to Central Coast Stadium to face the Mariners on Wednesday 16 January, kick-off 7:50pm.