A-League Report: City 2-0 Newcastle


Melbourne City FC has continued its unbeaten start to 2020, with a 2-0 win over Newcastle Jets at AAMI Park on Saturday night. 

It didn’t take long for Erick Mombaerts’ side to take the advantage, with striker Craig Noone scoring a superb curling effort from range. Jamie Maclaren converted from the penalty spot in the second half to secure the result for the hosts. 

City are back at AAMI Park next week, hosting Perth Glory on Saturday 25 January, kick off 7:30pm. Don’t miss it!

Starting XI

Harrison Delbridge was back on the field after serving his one-match suspension. New signing Markel Susaeta made his City debut as a substitute. Scott Galloway missed the clash due to the ankle injury he picked up late against Brisbane.

What happened?

The Jets came out of the blocks firing at AAMI Park, with Dean Bouzanis forced into making a strong save within the first 40 seconds of play to deny Nick Fitzgerald. 

Erick Mombaerts’ men responded strongly to the early warning, as Englishman Craig Noone saw an opportunity and took it, shooting from outside the box and scoring an impressive first goal, following a swift counter and assist from Jamie Maclaren on the eighth minute mark. 

City controlled proceedings for much of the first half an hour, with multiple half-chances falling to Maclaren and Harrison Delbridge. 

Newcastle attacker Matt Millar was threatening City’s defence. In the 35th minute, his glancing header saw Bouzanis make another important save. 

A few minutes later, Lachlan Wales had a golden opportunity to extend City’s lead at the break after he met Adrian Luna’s brilliant ball, although he was denied by a strong save from Lewis Italiano. 

Frenchman Florin Berenguer had the opening chance of the second period, but his effort on goal was saved by Italiano. 

In the 58th minute, Abdiel Arroyo thought he found an equaliser when he got in-behind City’s defence and fired home his effort, only to be called back for offside following the linesman’s decision. 

Mombaerts’ side was then put under high pressure by the Jets but managed to maintain the advantage. At the 62nd minute, a VAR review saw City awarded with a spot kick after Nikolai Topor-Stanley struck the ball with his arm. Maclaren stepped up, placing his spot kick expertly to make it 2-0 to the hosts. 

City’s defence held strong for the rest of the game, as Delbridge made two crucial blocks and Bouzanis made two important saves to secure the three points and invaluable clean sheet. 

What’s next?

City will be playing at home at AAMI Park again next week, Saturday 25 January, where they’ll be hosting Perth Glory, kick off at 7.30pm. Get your tickets here!