City’s FFA Cup Round of 32 history


Melbourne City FC eagerly awaits the commencement of their sixth tilt at the FFA Cup, kicking off their 2019 campaign on Wednesday 31 July against Campbelltown City at Steve Woodcock Sports Centre. Ahead of the knockout clash, we take a look at our recent history in the Round of 32.

2018 – Brisbane Roar 0-1 Melbourne City

City travelled to Dolphin Stadium – for the second successive year – to take on fellow A-League opponents, Brisbane Roar, in the Round of 32 last season.

It proved to be a tight contest in Redcliffe, with both teams locked at 0-0 after 90-minutes.

Just as the match looked destined to be decided by a penalty shootout, Bruno Fornaroli stepped up with a peach of a strike to secure the win with 14 seconds to play.


2017 – Peninsula Power 0-2 Melbourne City

In 2017, City faced Brisbane Premier League outfit, Peninsula Power at Dolphin Stadium.

Attacking midfielder, Stefan Mauk opened the scoring with a brave header in what proved to be a physical contest against an opponent who was eager to cause a Round of 32 Cup-set.

The Queenslanders continued to enforce their physicality in the second half, but were ultimately undone when Bruno Fornaroli secured City’s passage through to the Round of 16 with a top-corner effort in the 91st minute.


2016 – Floreat Athena 1-2 Melbourne City

City commenced their 2016 title-winning run by overcoming Western Australian side Floreat Athena in the Round of 32.

In a fast-paced opening half at Dorrien Gardens, City took a 1-0 lead into the break following an impressive solo effort from Nick Fitzgerald.

The hosts came out of the blocks determined to bounce back in the second half and were rewarded for their efforts, as a swift counter attack saw Kris Gate make it 1-1 with 30 minutes to play.

With the scoreboard locked at 1-1, up stepped Anthony Caceres, firing City through to the Round of 16 with an impressive long-range effort.


2015 – Edgeworth FC 1-2 Melbourne City

It was an entertaining clash between Melbourne City and Edgeworth Eagles at Magic Park in 2015, with City securing a come-from-behind 2-1 win.

The side from New South Wales took a 1-0 lead in the 26th minute, after central defender Patrick Kisnorbo conceded a first half penalty. Within nine minutes City had restored the lead, as Aaron Mooy produced a wonderful free kick, leaving the Eagles goalkeeper flat footed.

Just as the game look set for extra time, City’s midfield maestro stepped up yet again, sealing the win with another dead ball strike.


2014 – Melbourne City 1-3 Sydney FC

In the first edition of the FFA Cup, City hosted fellow A-League side Sydney FC at Morshead Park in Ballarat.

The Sky Blues capitalised early in the first half, as Corey Gameiro found the back of the net after City shot-stopper Andrew Redmayne ventured out of his area.

Nick Kalmar clawed City back into the contest with a spectacular effort from range, ensuring that the game would be decided beyond the 90 minutes.

Despite the hosts pushing to find a winner in extra time, City were ultimately undone by two Sydney FC penalties in the second half of stoppage time, both finished by Ali Abbas in quick succession.


City take on Campbelltown City at Steve Woodcock Sports Centre on Wednesday 31 July, kick-off 7:30pm.