FNYL REPORT: Melbourne City FC too good for Wanderers


Melbourne City FC’s Foxtel National Youth League side were dominant against the Western Sydney Wanders on Sunday afternoon, prevailing 4-1 at Broadmeadows Valley Park.

Luka Prelevic opened the scoring for the home side in the third minute as he finished off a brilliant cutback by Anthony Rizk.

In similar fashion, Ben Garuccio went on a marauding run himself in the 39th minute to find Marc Marino who finished into an empty net.

Stefan Mauk put the result beyond doubt in the 63rd minute with a cheeky chip over the ‘keeper however the Wanderers did find their consolation goal a minute later through Michael Trajkovski.

Marino added his second goal in 79th minute to seal the 4-1 result.

The home side were dominant from the first minute, winning a corner that was headed just over the bar. Melbourne City FC continued to assert its passing game on the match, finding the back of the net minutes later.

A brilliant combination on the wing found Rizk hitting the by-line, with his cutback trickling past Wade Dekker and on to Prelevic who struck well to find the back of the net.

The Wanderers worked their way back into the match, looking dangerous on the counter. Striker Michael Trajkovski was played through by the Western Sydney midfield and looked to be one-on-one with Marko Stevanja but the ‘keeper slid-out well to clear the danger.

The Wanderers had another chance to peg one back as it was Steve Kuzmanovski this time finding himself free in the penalty area but Nick Symeoy pulled off a last-ditch tackle to keep the scores level.

Melbourne City FC reasserted their dominance on the game thereafter, as the side found its second goal. Garuccio broke down the left wing, beating the Wanderers defence and cut back to Marino who finished into an empty net.

It was much of the same at the start of the second half as the left wing brought much of Melbourne City FC’s joy.

Garuccio was the man once again, cutting back to Mauk and then Prelevic to have his shot blocked from close range.

The Wanderers looked dangerous again on the break as Trajkovski was handed a brilliant ball from the wing but the onrushing Stevanja did well to spread and block the striker’s shot.

Melbourne City FC extended their lead through Mauk who’s deft chip beat the onrushing Thomas Manos but Wanderers found a consolation after the third goal through Trajkovski.

It wasn’t enough to keep the away side in touch for the rest of the game as Marino sealed his brace from close range.

The win comes at a cost for Melbourne City FC with Connor Chapman limping off with what looks to be an upper leg injury.

Melbourne City FC: 1. Marko STEVANJA (GK), 2. Ben GARUCCIO (12. Leo ATHANASIOU 57’), 4. Ross ARCHIBALD (C), 6. Stefan MAUK, 7. Phil PETREVSKI, 8. Jonatan GERMANO (3. Connor CHAMPMAN 45’), 9. Marc MARINO, 10. Luka PRELEVIC, 11. Anthony RIZK, 14. Wade DEKKER (5. Matthew MILLAR 73’)

Subs not used: 20. Yaren SOZER (GK)