Match Report: City 2-2 Perth

Melbourne City FC was held to a 2-2 draw in Wednesday night A-League Men action against Perth Glory at AAMI Park.

The City boys burst out of the blocks to see a two-goal lead within 30 minutes thanks to Florin Berenguer and Mathew Leckie, but Perth were able to claw their way back into the contest with goals from Bruno Fornaroli and Callum Timmins.

Starting XI

City skipper Scott Jamieson returned to the starting lineup for the first time in three games following an injury sustained against Adelaide United in February. The left-back replaced Scott Galloway, who picked up a minor niggle in City’s win over Sydney FC.

What happened?

It was a case of what could have been for Perth early on, with Jack Clisby hitting the woodwork in the 7th minute after a poor turnover at the back from City, before the home side went up the other end a minute later and scored a brilliant opener through Florin Berenguer.

The visitors fashioned a huge chance for Callum Timmins in the 18th when the midfielder was played through on goal, but Tom Glover pulled off an important save to prevent what seemed a certain goal.

The City lead was doubled in the 29th minute thanks to a flowing move that passed through Nabbout and Metcalfe on its way to Leckie who finished with aplomb, but the two-goal lead would be halved just two minutes later. Glover had misjudged the flight of a Perth cross, leaving Bruno Fornaroli to head unmarked into the back of an empty net.

Nabbout nearly netted a wondergoal in the 37th, beating two defenders to cut inside and fizz an effort towards the near post which initially appeared in but had rippled the side netting.

City had the chance to go two ahead early in the second half when Jamie Maclaren was teed up for a big opportunity by Carl Jenkinson in the 55th, but the striker blazed his shot over the bar.

The miss would prove decisive, as Perth went up the other end and scored in the next minute thanks to Timmins’ walloped effort from the edge of the area.

The 77th minute brought about an impressive reflex save from Liam Reddy to keep out Carl Jenkinson’s thrashed strike from inside the area as the home side continued to push for a winner.

The City boys kept the pressure on with some big chances late on but ultimately couldn’t break down the Perth defence for a third time as the score remained 2-2.

What’s next?

The result affords some breathing room to Western United at the top of the table, so the City boys will be even more desperate to keep the pressure on with an away win to Wellington Phoenix on Sunday afternoon.