Match Report: Victory 0-2 City

Melbourne City FC has made it three wins from three fixtures to start the season, taking home the Melbourne Derby bragging rights after a 2-0 win over Victory.

In a similar story to last week, the damage was done in the first half before City saw out a professional performance in the second 45 minutes.

Team News

Head Coach Patrick Kisnorbo was forced into his first change of the season through Taras Gomulka’s suspension after been shown a red card last time out. Marco Tilio came into the line-up to replace him, which looked to be the only change.

This was until skipper Scott Jamieson failed a last minuted fitness test after tweaking a groin in training during the week, meaning Curtis Good was named in the XI for his first appearance of the season. Andrew Nabbout was the man to take the armband in Jamieson’s absence.

Starting XI: 1. Tom GLOVER (GK), 25. Callum TALBOT, 6. Thomas LAM, 22. Curtis GOOD, 38. Jordan BOS, 13. Aiden O’NEILL, 14. Valon BERISHA, 7. Mathew LECKIE, 15. Andrew NABBOUT (C), 23. Marco TILIO, 9. Jamie MACLAREN.

Substitutes: 33. Matthew SUTTON (GK), 2. Scott GALLOWAY, 8. Richard VAN DER VENNE, 18. Jordon HALL, 30. Luke ORESTI, 36. Kerrin STOKES, 37. Max CAPUTO.

What happened?

It was Victory who’d have the first sight of goal but Nick D’Agostino’s effort didn’t have the power to trouble Tom Glover.

It was far from a sign of things to come though, with City quickly grabbing the ascendancy.

A lovely ball from Valon Berisha – one of City’s best in the early stages along with Mathew Leckie – picked out Jamie Maclaren perfectly in the box, but the City striker’s effort was saved.

Although initially missed by the referee on the pitch, a VAR review saw City awarded a penalty after Leckie was fouled in the box by Nani.

In what was probably a shock to nobody at AAMI Park, Jamie Maclaren made no mistake from the spot to get his fourth of the season and become the outright all-time Melbourne Derby leading scorer.

The away bays of AAMI Park were erupting again just moments later when City quickly doubled its advantage.

A lovely worked short corner routine from Berisha and Marco Tilio did the damage, with Victory defender Cadete bundling the ball into his own net.

For the second week in a row there was a red card in a City fixture, but this time around it was the opposition going down to 10 men with Josh Brillante being shown his second yellow in the 35th minute.

Tilio did have a great chance late in the half to make it three and was denied only by the fingertips of Paul Izzo.

The second half failed to reach the heights of the first as City didn’t need to take many risks and looked content to hold possession where possible.

Jordan Bos almost capped off a brilliant performance with his second career goal in the 79th minute, but his shot was agonisingly wide of the target after a mazy run down the left-hand side.

What’s next?

City will be back at AAMI Park for two consecutive home matches, beginning next Sunday afternoon against Wellington Phoenix. With both games kicking off at 5pm, it’s the perfect opportunity to bring the whole family out to AAMI Park! Click here to get your tickets.