Match Report: Western Sydney 1-0 City

Johnson v WSW

Melbourne City FC has seen it’s disappointing run of W-League form continue, going down 1-0 to the Wanderers in Western Sydney.

It was an arm-wrestle of an affair for much of the 90 minutes but as has been the case too often this season, City just couldn’t find the back of the net when it mattered with Leena Khamis’ 72nd minute goal the difference.

Starting XI

Rado Vidosic made three changes to the starting line-up that took on Sydney FC at AAMI Park three weeks ago.

Hollie Palmer returned from a slight hamstring niggle while Sam Johnson came straight back into the line-up after serving a one-match suspension. After coming off the bench in the Club’s last fixture, 16-year-old Naomi Chinnama started her first W-League match.

What happened?

It was a tame opening to the contest with both teams happy to feel their way into the game and not being prepared to take any early risks.

Noor Eckhoff looked very comfortable in her third game in a City shirt, ensuring the home side had a tough time getting anything going by consistently breaking up their play.

Deployed in a different position to what we are used to seeing, Sam Johnson found plenty of space down the right wing in the first half.

She picked out Alex Chidiac inside the box with a cross in the 20th minute and the City attacker did well to turn it goal-ward before Wanderers keeper Sarah Willacy pulled off a strong save.

Teigan Collister looked close to scoring up the other end just minutes later after picking the pocket of Tori Tumeth and getting through on goal but a last ditch block from Jenna McCormick ensured scores would stay level.

The best chance of the first half fell to Johnson just before half-time after Willacy rushed out and missed the ball but the American’s eventual shot was cleared off the line by Nikola Orgill.

The second half started much like the first with neither side looking too eager to get forward and create chances.

The substitution of Rhali Dobson was crucial for City who looked to be more threatening after the winger came on just before the hour mark.

Despite City just starting to build some momentum and threatening to score, it was the Wanderers who would take the lead.

Following a run down the right from Collister, the ball spilled to Leena Khamis, who with the aid of the upright, put the ball into the back of the net with 20 minutes to play.

City pushed hard for an equaliser with Chidiac and Dobson looking the most likely, but despite their best efforts, none could be found and the home side ran away with the points.

What’s next?

It’ll be another long break between games for Vidosic’s squad who will have a bye in Round 11.

The City women will once again be apart of ‘Hersday’ night football on March 11 when take on the Wanderers again- this time around at home.

Membership new