Match Report: Western Sydney 2-0 City

It was a tough Sunday afternoon for Melbourne City, going down 2-0 to Western Sydney at Wanderers Football Park.

The hosts struck in either half as City struggled to create chances across the 90 minutes.

Team News

Dario Vidosic made two changes to the starting XI from his team’s win over Perth Glory.

Rhianna Pollicina returned in place of the injured Emina Ekic, while Sally James was back between the sticks and Melissa Barbieri on the bench. Emma Checker also returned to the substitutes bench after overcoming a bout of illness.

Starting XI: 1. Sally JAMES (GK), 8. Kaitlyn TORPEY, 3. Naomi CHINNAMA, 14. Katie BOWEN, 4. Chelsea BLISSETT, 18. Leah DAVIDSON, 6. Leticia MCKENNA, 10. Rhianna POLLICINA, 22. Bryleeh HENRY, 24. Daniela GALIC, 17. Hannah WILKINSON.

Substitutes: 23. Melissa BARBIERI (GK), 7. Julia GROSSO, 15. Emma CHECKER, 16. Karly ROESTBAKKEN, 20. Caitlin KARIC.

What happened?

It was an even beginning to the fixture as both teams seemed content to feel each other out, with neither creating much in the opening half hour.

Kaitlyn Torpey put in a big challenge on the 28th minute to deny Wanderers striker Sarina Bolden who had burst into the box at speed.

Again taking the armband at the opening whistle, Rhianna Pollicina had City’s best chance of the first half via a set-piece, but saw her attempted free kick go just over the bar in the 34th.

Western Sydney was able to take the lead just minutes before half time after a deflected and wind-assisted shot from Sheridan Gallagher made its way over Sally James and into the back of the net.

The hosts came out full of steam in the second half, putting plenty of pressure on the City defence.

Katie Bowen put in an important challenge to deny Bolden in the 49th, but there was little she or James could do six minutes later when Sarah Price found the back of the net with a well-taken strike from outside the box.

Captain Emma Checker and Karly Roestbakken were both substituted on immediately following the goal, which also meant Katie Bowen moved into midfield with Leah Davidson and Naomi Chinnama leaving the pitch.

Unfortunately for City fans watching on back in Melbourne, the changes didn’t have the effect that was hoped for as the team still struggled to test Western Sydney goalkeeper Jordyn Bloomer.

Daniela Galic had a few nice moments in the final 15 or so minutes, but the final whistle would eventually blow with the scoreline still reading 2-0.

What’s next?

City will continue its busy week with an away clash against Adelaide United on Wednesday night, before returning home to Melbourne to face Victory on Saturday afternoon. Click here to get your Derby tickets!