Melbourne Heart go down in Derby


Melbourne Heart FC fell to a 1-3 loss against rivals Mebourne Victory on Saturday night at AAMI Park.

Melbourne Heart FC fell to a 1-3 loss against rivals Mebourne Victory on Saturday night at AAMI Park in the 11th edition of the Melbourne Derby.

The Red and White suffered a major blow in the 20th minute when Patrick Kisnorbo was dismissed after a tackle on Victory’s Connor Pain and played the remaining 70 minutes with 10 men.

Mitch Nichols created and caused the damage for the visitors, scoring twice either side of James Troisi’s goal, in which Nichols turned provider.

Melbourne Heart midfielder Nick Kalmar managed to salvage a late goal for his team after deflecting a header past Victory keeper Nathan Coe late in the match, but the goal proved only a consolation.

The Red and White had control of the match for the majority of the first 15 minutes with Michael Mifsud creating multiple chances at the goals early.

But the match swung in Victory’s favour when Kisnorbo received his marching orders and Head Coach John Aloisi was forced to reshuffle, withdrawing Mifsud – who had looked lively – and replacing him with a defender in Patrick Gerhardt to maintain structure in defence.

Interestingly, Victory Connor Pain – a late inclusion after Archie Thompson was withdrawn following the warm-up – was issued with a yellow card shortly after Kisnorbo-s send off for a similar style of tackle.

While the momentum swung in Victory’s favour, Heart held the visitors at bay, despite being down a man, until Nichols managed to secure Victory-s first at the 38 minute mark.

Heart then survived a Pain shot at goal just before half time thanks to a diving save from Andrew Redmayne.

Shortly after the break, Melbourne Heart captain Harry Kewell made some space for himself and fired a shot at the goal that was just wide of the mark.

Heart were then forced to throw men forward to in the 60th minute they were hurt on the rebound when James Troisi received a cross from Nichols and fired it into the left side of the net for Victory-s second.

Harry Kewell then had a chance for Heart but after maneuvering around the defence his shot on goal ended up in the arms of Victory keeper Nathan Coe.

Nicholls then followed up his assist three minutes later with his second of the match after he found his way around the defence.

With the score-line at 0-3, Kalmar’s goal came in the final 10 minutes and merely reduced the deficit on the night.

Match Details
Saturday, 21 December 2013
Hyundai A-League Round 11
Melbourne Victory FC 3 ( Nichols 38-, 63-, Troisi 60-)
Melbourne Heart FC 1 (Kalmar 81-)
AAMI Park, Melbourne
HT: 0:1
Referee: Ben Williams
Attendance: 26,491

Melbourne Heart FC Starting XI: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3. Robbie WIELAERT, 8. Massimo MURDOCCA, 10. Harry Kewell (C) (14. Golgol MEBRAHTU 65-), 11.Michael MIFSUD (6. Patrick GERHARDT 26′), 15. David WILLIAMS, 16. Aziz BEHICH, 17. Jason HOFFMAN, 22. Nick KALMAR, 23. Mate DUGANDZIC, 24. Patrick KISNORBO
Substitutes not used: 7. Iain RAMSAY , 20. Tando VELAPHI [GK], 25. Andrea MIGLIORINI
Yellow cards: Dugandzic 57-
Red cards: Kisnorbo 20-

Melbourne Victory FC Starting XI: 1. Nathan COE (GK), 2. Pablo CONTRERAS, 3. Adama TRAORE, 5. Mark MILLIGAN (C), 6. Leigh BROXHAM, 9. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 11. Connor PAIN, 14. James TROISI (7. Gui FINKLER 61′), 15. Mitchell NICHOLS (13. Andrew NABBOUT 77′), 23. Adrian LEIJER, 25. Jason GERIA, (24. Scott GALLOWAY 82′)
Substitutes not used: 4. Nicholas ANSELL, 20. Lawrence THOMAS [GK]
Yellow cards: Pain 24-, Broxham 75-, Nabbout 84-
Red cards: Nil