NPL Report: City 2-1 Northcote

A brace to skipper Harry Politidis led Melbourne City to a fourth consecutive NPL2 win on Sunday afternoon.

Hosting Northcote City at Parade College, an impressive City outfit went ahead early before going into the break locked at 1-1 after a late first half equaliser to the visitors.

The decisive moment of the afternoon came in the 70th minute with Politids finding the back of the net for his second of the afternoon.

Team News

Head Coach Crisdion Krstevski named a strong starting line-up with plenty of quality right across the pitch.

Starting XI: 90. William SPARROW (GK), 45. Harrison SHILLINGTON, 4. Joshua DAMEVSKI, 13. Kerrin STOKES, 38. James RALLIS, 16. Emile PEIOS, 7. Luke ORESTI, 8. Emin DURAKOVIC, 10. Raphael BORGES RODRIGUES, 12. Harry POLITIDIS (C), 23. Max CAPUTO.

Substitutes: 15. Adrian SINAGRA (GK), 2. Dom FOLINO, 5. Jordan DELLIDIS, 17. Sebastian ESPOSITO, 44. Tobenna OBANI, 48. Medin MEMETI.

What happened?

City came into the contest full of confidence after three wins in a row, and that was evident from the first whistle.

The early exchanges were dominated by City, with captain Harry Politidis causing plenty of danger down the left-hand side.

A lovely bit of interplay on the left saw an exchange of passes ending with a one-two between Politidis and Emin Durakovic doing the damage for the opener, the former cooly finishing across the keeper after 20 minutes.

Luke Oresti was another who began the contest well, and he went close to scoring himself on the half-hour mark but saw his effort well saved after a smart backheel from Max Caputo opened up some space in the box.

City goalkeeper William Sparrow virtually went 40 minutes without being troubled before Northcote’s first chance of the afternoon.

Unfortunately, there was little he could do about the equaliser which came against the run of play, Ioannis Georgopoulos finishing across his goal off the inside of the post.

Quickly back on his feet, Sparrow pulled off a good save in the minutes that followed to deny another swift counter and ensure City would go into half time tied at 1-1.

The visiting Northcote side came out revitalised in the second half, creating more chances in the first five minutes than they had for the whole first 45 minutes, rattling the crossbar in the process.

City was resolute in defence though and able to see off that early charge, slowly building into the half and regaining the momentum.

The crucial goal would come in the 70th minute with Politidis once again finding the back of the net in a move that was easy on the eye.

Full-back James Rallis found Oresti on the right, who bamboozled the defence with a backheel which saw things open up perfectly for the captain who cut in and finished on his left foot beautifully into the bottom corner.

The well-drilled City side gave Northcote little for the final 20 minutes, ensuring it would remain ahead and earn another three points when the referee’s whistle eventually blew.

What’s next?

Sunday afternoon NPL football is back at Parade College again next weekend, with City set to host Bulleen Lions.