No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled
No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled

Please update your browser

Unfortunately you cannot view this website on the current version of your browser. Please either update your browser or use an alternative browser.

Apr 01, 2015   |  11:45PM AET

NPL REPORT: Melbourne City FC 3-1 Whittlesea Ranges

NPL REPORT: Melbourne City FC 3-1 Whittlesea Ranges

Melbourne City FC NPL have recorded their second win of the NPL 1 West season, defeating Whittlesea Ranges in their Round 1 catch-up fixture.

First half goals to Nick Symeoy and Marc Marino saw the hosts take the lead into half-time with Hernan Espindola making it three shortly after the break.

Mohamed Mohamed did find a consolation for Ranges but it wasn’t enough with Melbourne City FC running out 3-1 winners.

A Balmy night at Epping Stadium greeted the sides with the Ranges getting off to the better start.

Melbourne City FC goalkeeper Yaren Sozer was on form during the early stages of the first half, keeping the potent Ranges attack at bay.


Joe Montemurro’s men finally worked their way into the contest and Marino’s strike in the 28th minute that rebounded off the upright sparked Melbourne City FC into action and four minutes later, the lead.

Nick Symeoy’s well directed header found its way past Gian Tapia in the Ranges goal, putting Melbourne City FC 1-0 up.

The scoreline was doubled in the 38th minute after Marino was finally rewarded for his persistent work in the attacking third. After a wonderful individual effort, the South Australian calmly slotted home his side’s second to take the lead into the break.

The start of the second half replicated much of the first with the Ranges coming out of the rooms with a point to prove. Montemurro’s men were more prepared for Whittlesea’s onslaught in the second half and looked ready to deal with the pressure of Vinko Buljubasic’s side.

final360 banner

Melbourne City FC then made it three in the 64th minute as a wonderful run by Anthony Rizk was finished off by Hernan Espindola to sure up the result.

Ranges did pull one back through Mohamed but it wasn’t enough as Melbourne City FC picked up its second three point haul of the season.

Next up for Melbourne City FC NPL is a trip to FC Bulleen Lions on Monday night. Reserves 6:30pm, Seniors 8:30pm.