NPL Report: Victory 1-5 City


Melbourne City has made it three wins from three matches, after recording a convincing 5-1 win over Melbourne Victory in warm conditions at Epping Stadium on Sunday.

City’s side secured the Youth Melbourne Derby with a dominating first half display that saw Lucas Derrick, Gerrie Sylaidos, Denis Genreau and Ali Eyigun all find the back of the net, before the game was well and truly sealed when Marko Delic scored with almost his first touch off the bench.

After a pensive start, City found themselves up after only twelve minutes when Genreau’s run to the byline and beautiful cut back found Derrick with space in the box. His side footed effort had enough on it to beat Victory goalkeeper Lucas Spinella, with the ball looking to have trickled through the shotstoppers legs.

Victory answered nine minutes later however when City were dispossessed attempting to bring the ball out of their own half. Victory defender Jonathan Vakirtzis found winger Christian Theoharous to set up a cross that was tapped in at the back post by Pierce Waring.

City continued to press however, and their high work rate was soon rewarded with a trio of goals in the space of five minutes.

The onslaught began with Sylaidos producing his own piece of individual brilliance in the 30th minute. The young forward made the most of some suspect defending and was able to beat Spinella at his near post, hitting the top corner from almost 25 yards out to grab his 4th goal of the campaign.

Two minutes later City were on the scoresheet again as Genreau, already responsible for setting up the first goal, was able to pounce on another piece of sloppy defending as Victory failed to properly clear a set piece.

Showing the ruthlessness and discipline that saw them crowned Foxtel National Youth League Champions, City continued to press; looking for another goal.

They were almost instantly rewarded for their ambition when Derrick was brought down inside the penalty area in the 35th minute. Eyigun stepped up and slotted it home to give City their 4th goal of the game and seeing Eyigun join Syladios as joint top scorer in the side.

After a blistering first half, the second half proved to be a lot more tepid affair, with both City and Victory struggling to create clear chances on goal as the sweaty conditions and lopsided score line looked to begin to take its toll on the players on the park.

City brought on fresh legs onto the park and it paid off as Delic grabbed City’s fifth goal in the 64th minute. Having replaced Anthony Theodoropoulos two minutes earlier, forward was able to round Spinella in the Victory goal with his first touch on the park and put the game beyond doubt. 

The win, as well as securing Melbourne Derby bragging rights until the sides next meet, keeps City in second place after Dandenong City maintained their early season form to defeat Ballarat.

Earlier in the day, City’s U20 side went down 3-1 to Victory’s U20 side in the curtain raiser. Down 2-0 and down to 10 men at half time City were able to peg one back through Lucas Cushari to make it 2-1, before Victory grabbed another goal to run out winners on the day.

City’s next match will be on Saturday 25 March when the team travels to White Eagles Stadium to take on Springvale White Eagles FC.  

new banner

Match Details
Melbourne City FC 5 (Lucas Derrick 12′, Gerrie Sylaidos 30′, Denis Genreau 32′, Ali Eyigun 35′ pen, Marko Delic 64′)
Melbourne Victory 1 (Pierce Waring 21’)