No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled
No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled

Please update your browser

Unfortunately you cannot view this website on the current version of your browser. Please either update your browser or use an alternative browser.

Apr 17, 2018   |  11:35PM AET

Our Elimination Final history

Our Elimination Final history

Elimination Finals Banner

Season 2014-15 (3 May 2015): Wellington Phoenix 0 – 2 Melbourne City FC

In the 2014-15 Finals Series, Melbourne City stunned Wellington Phoenix with a 2-0 Elimination Final win over Ernie Merrick’s side at Westpac Stadium.

City took the lead in the 61st minute when former Socceroo Josh Kennedy wrong-footed Glen Moss in goal, by turning in Aaron Mooy’s low drive. 

The visitors doubled their lead 11 minutes later when Harry Novillo’s fierce strike took a deflection off Ben Sigmund, which then hit the post and rebounded off the back of Moss and into the back of his own net. The upset result set up a blockbuster Semi-Final with city rivals Melbourne Victory.


Season 2015-16 (17 April 2016): Melbourne City FC 2 – 0 Perth Glory

A fourth-place league finish in season 2015-16 saw Melbourne City FC earn their first home final in the Club’s short history.

City marked the momentous occasion with a 2-0 win over Perth Glory, following a truly remarkable individual performance by record-breaking striker Bruno Fornaroli.

Fornaroli opened the scoring in the 40th minute with a jaw-dropping bicycle kick after he met Aaron Mooy’s corner, before doubling the home teams advantage with a spectacular free-kick in the 76th minute – his 25th goal of the season.


Season 2016-17 (23 April 2017): Melbourne City 0 – 2 Perth Glory

On the 23rd April 2017, Melbourne City FC suffered a disappointing 2-0 loss to Perth Glory at AAMI Park in the Club’s third successive Elimination Final appearance.

Spanish maestro Diego Castro opened the scoring in the 16th minute, before setting-up Joel Chianese 14 minutes later to double Perth’s lead.

A rampant opening 30 minutes from the Glory proved to be too much for the home side, whose attempted comeback in the last 20 minutes of play proved to be unsuccessful.