van’t Schip: Three games in six days, this week was a success


The biggest week in the Club’s history has officially closed with two wins, a draw and of course, the Westfield FFA Cup trophy.

Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Brisbane Roar extended the side’s unbeaten streak in the league to four matches and with three matches in all competitions within six days, City Head Coach John van’t Schip said he was proud of everyone’s efforts throughout this period.

“I’m happy with the whole week,” he said.

“It’s been a very intense week and of course we gave a lot of energy in the two games against Wellington and Sydney. Knowing we had a very short turnaround and playing Brisbane, who is a side who is playing at a high level, it was a great effort that the boys put in.

Cityzens giving banner

“At the beginning of the week we would have said that this would be the result we would have taken. We did very well against Wellington – we got the three points – then on top of that the FFA Cup and then this game.

“I have to give all the credit to the boys. They put in a great effort and playing three games in six days, we can close that week off as a success.”

There was plenty of emotion on Saturday night as City came from behind to pick up a point. The focus from many was set squarely on what was happening between the two sides on the benches however van’t Schip said it was part and parcel of football as his side’s fatigue may have spilled over into emotion.

“It’s part of football and of course we have to control our emotions,” he said.

“After a week like this we knew there was a lot of tension around this game. The boys handled it very well and we got a result.

5 match banner

“In the end we wanted to win but they had some good chances, especially in the beginning. After that we got control and we were having chances ourselves with a few shots with [Nicolas] Colazo, a header on the crossbar and another shot from [Luke] Brattan.  

“When we were starting to control I think we made a bit of an error at the back which cost us. Knowing coming from behind against Brisbane, it doesn’t make it easier. It’s even more of an effort and a good way of how the boys reacted to get that goal.”

City now prepare to take on their FFA Cup Final foes Sydney FC for the first time in the league this Friday night at ANZ Stadium, kick-off 7.50pm.