W-League Report: Brisbane 0-2 City


Melbourne City FC has recorded their sixth consecutive win with a 2-0 victory over Brisbane Roar at Dolphin Stadium in Redcliffe on Thursday night.

Milica Mijatovic fired the visitors ahead inside the opening 10 minutes before Aivi Luik secured the three points with a low drive late in the second half.

City return to Melbourne in Round 9, hosting Canberra United at ABD Stadium on Thursday 9 January, kick off 7:30pm.

Starting XI

Head Coach Rado Vidosic made one change to the starting XI that defeated Perth Glory in Round 6 with Lauren Barnes replacing Kyah Simon in the starting team. The swap saw a reshuffle at the top with Scottish international Claire Emslie teaming up with Serbian international Milica Mijatovic and Barnes returning to the heart of defence.

What happened?

In warm conditions at Dolphin Stadium, it was the hosts that had the first chance of the match when the ball fell to Hayley Raso at the back post. Unmarked, the Matildas international struck her effort on the volley but couldn’t muster her shot on target.

Head Coach Rado Vidosic’s side responded strongly and got off to a flying start with Milica Mijatovic firing the visitors ahead in the eighth minute. Captain Steph Catley whipped in a dangerous cross from the left wing which was palmed away by Mackenzie Arnold and struck home on the rebound by City’s Serbian international.

City continued to dominate the first 25 minutes of play with Ellie Carpenter looking ever-threatening on right wing. Despite their continued pressure on Brisbane’s defence, City were unable to double their advantage.

On the half hour mark a double chance fell to the Roar with Raso again involved, but Rebekah Stott was to the rescue for City, clearing the ball off the goal line with a strong header. Moments later it was Raso again, this time the pacey winger picked up the ball in the middle of the park before striking the crossbar with a fierce effort from just outside the area.

City finished the first half strong with half chances falling to Catley, Aivi Luik and Claire Emslie.

The second half kicked off with a tight tussle as both teams wrestled to gain the early ascendency. In the 54th minute, City had a golden opportunity to double their lead when Aivi Luik earned a spot kick following a brilliant build up play. Cately stepped up to take, but she fired her effort just wide of Arnold’s post as the score remained 0-1.

10 minutes later, City’s skipper looked to make amends for her miss, hitting up second-half substitute Tyla-Jay Vlajnic with a brilliant cross only for the fullback to fire her effort over the crossbar.

The hosts kept pushing as they searched for an equaliser but City’s defence stood tall and were eventually rewarded for their effort when Luik doubled City’s advantage with a low drive which found the bottom corner in the 74th minute.

Tameka Yallop looked destined to hit back on the 87th minute mark only to be denied by a last-ditch challenge from Rebekah Stott who ensured Lydia Williams and her side would secure another clean sheet.

What’s next?

City return to Melbourne where they will host Canberra United on Thursday 9 January at ABD Stadium, kick off 7:30pm.