W-League Report: City 1-0 Newcastle


Melbourne City Women’s FC began its Westfield W-League title defence with a hard-fought 1-0 over Newcastle Jets at CB Smith Reserve on Sunday afternoon, courtesy of Marianna Tabain’s early header.

The City striker began the new season as she started the last with a goal in the opening round, popping up to head home a superb cross from Lauren Barnes to break the deadlock inside the opening 10 minutes.

Joe Montemurro’s side looked in control for large periods of the contest but needed to stand firm in defence to hold off a spirited Jets outfit in the second half, with Matildas goalkeeper Lydia Williams demonstrating her quality with two key saves to deny Jennifer Hoy and Emma Stanbury.

Hold firm they did, however, with the result maintaining City’s perfect start to W-League football and extending its record winning streak to 15 matches.

City demonstrated its attacking intent right from the get go with some promising build up play from Steph Catley, Jess Fishlock and Lauren Barnes on the left hand side.

Fishlock’s neat cutback found Amy Jackson in a terrific position to open the scoring, but could only manage to spoon her effort over the crossbar from close range.

But there was no stopping City from opening the scoring after eight minutes with a well-crafted move that broke the Jets’ early resistance.

Welsh star Fishlock instigated the move with a brilliant cross field pass which found the marauding Barnes down the left hand side. The American’s cross found its way to Tabain, who headed past Kelsey Wys to open the scoring.

Catley, who began the match in a more advanced position on the left wing, and Barnes continued to link up effectively down the left, but the Jets responded from the early setback, with Emma Stanbury and Arin Gilliland causing some problems in attack.

Ashlee Brodigan had a golden chance to level the scores for the Jets when the ball spilled to her in the penalty area, but she could only drive her effort high and wide of the target.

American import Hoy then went close only moments later after linking up with Gilliland following a loose clearance from City, but Williams reacted brilliantly to prevent the deflected shot from creeping in at the near post.

The Jets started the second half brightly and continued to push forward in search of the equalizing goal.

Hoy struck the side netting with a powerful drive from a tight angle, before Erika Tymrak nipped in front of Wys to head a chance just wide at the other end.

Gilliland had Williams scrambling with a header which beat the keeper but flew just wide, before the Matildas goalkeeper displayed her immense quality with a superb diving save to deny a powerful effort from Stanbury.

It proved to be the Jets final clear-cut chance of the afternoon, as City began its title defence with an important three points.

Match Details

Westfield W-League – Round 1

Melbourne City FC 1 (Marianna TABAIN 8’)

Newcastle Jets 0

HT 1-0

Venue: CB Smith Reserve, Fawkner

Referee: Kate Jacewicz