W-League Report: City 2-0 Newcastle


Melbourne City FC has powered to its eighth straight victory, with a 2-0 win over Newcastle Jets at AAMI Park on Saturday. 

Serbian international Milica Mijatovic fired home the opener in the seventh minute to hand City a 1-0 lead at the break following a dominant half. 

Emily van Egmond secured the points in the second half with a cracker from outside the box, recording her fifth goal of the season.

City’s next game will be on Thursday 13 February at 7.30pm at Lakeside Stadium, where they’ll be determined to follow up on their winning streak when they face Melbourne Victory in their second Melbourne Derby of the season.

Starting XI

Head Coach Rado Vidosic’s line up remained unchanged. 


What happened?

Warm conditions greeted both teams at AAMI Park on Saturday afternoon, Melbourne City players didn’t seem bothered by the heat, on the contrary.

City got off to a flying start with Milica Mijatovic firing the ball into the top right corner and scoring the first goal of the game on the seventh minute mark. Ellie Carpenter found Kyah Simon out wide who whipped in a dangerous ball which evaded Claire Emslie and her two opponents allowing time and space for Mijatovic to rocket home the opener. 

The Jets defence held up against a barrage of City attacks, but they found themselves unable to generate any meaningful efforts at the other end. Kyah Simon, assisted by her teammates, took multiple chances but failed to double the scoring.

The Jets dangerously broke through City’s defence right before the end of the first half, but their effort was cut short when Newcastle attacker Jenna Kingsley was caught offside. The first half ended with City dominating possession and leading 1-0. 

The City blue came back fresh from the break, and it didn’t take long before Emily van Egmond saw the opportunity to double the scoring. In the 50th minute, she took a long low shot from outside the box, giving her team a considerable advantage in the game and adding to her already impressive highlights reel this season. Starting off with Rebekah Stott in defence, a swift counter saw Carpenter and Stott involved again before van Egmond buried her low drive from outside the box. 

Newcastle fought hard to find a way back into the match as Kingsley cut through City’s defence and fired an effort towards goal, but her shot was well saved by Lydia Williams.

As the half progressed chances were limited as City controlled proceedings. Rhali Dobson’s second half cameo gave City a spark in attack as the hosts were able to secure their eighth straight victory and continue their streak of not conceding. 

What’s next?

City will be back in action on Thursday 13 February at 7.30pm at Lakeside Stadium for a derby return game against Melbourne Victory. Don’t miss it!