W-League Report: City 4-0 Canberra


Melbourne City FC recorded their seventh consecutive win with a 4-0 victory over Canberra United at ABD Stadium on Thursday night. 

Kyah Simon opened the scoring with a cracker from outside the box in the first five minutes, before Claire Emslie earned her side two spot kicks ahead of the break to give Rado Vidosic’s side a 3-0 advantage at half time. 

Emily van Egmond secured the points with a superb effort late in the game, meeting Rhali Dobson’s pass with a superb volley, chipping Khamis from range. 

City host their first match at AAMI Park next week, as they take on Newcastle Jets in a blockbuster double header on Saturday 18 January. 

Starting XI

Head Coach Rado Vidosic made one change to the starting XI, with Kyah Simon replacing Yukari Kinga in the starting line up. Rhali Dobson was added to the bench. 

What happened?

Hot and humid conditions greeted both teams at ABD Stadium on Thursday night, and just like the weather, City were red-hot from the first whistle. 

Kyah Simon set the tone early with a spectacular solo effort inside the opening five minutes of play. The attacker turned her marker before firing a low drive home from outside the area. 

City dominated the contest for most of the first half, with fullback Ellie Carpenter offering her teammates multiple opportunities. At the 20th minute, she passed to Simon from the right side of the box but the ball found the side netting.

Goalkeeper Lydia Williams denied Simone Charley’s attempt at the 30th minute after the striker had made her way quickly and dangerously into the box.

A minute later, Emslie was granted a penalty kick as a result of a one-on-one run for the ball against Canberra keeper Sham Khamis, who failed to deny Emslie and fouled the striker in the process. Emslie took the spot kick and scored her first goal for the Club, giving City a significant advantage in the game.

Just as City looked headed for a 2-0 advantage at the break, Emslie again earned her side a spot kick, after her dangerous run in the box lead to Khamis once again fouling the Scottish international. Simon stepped up to take, sending the shot-stopper the wrong way and securing her brace as well as a 3-0 lead at half time. 

The second half kicked off with Canberra determined to close the gap, but City’s defence held tight and the team stayed clear of any major threat.

At the 76th minute, second half substitue Rhali Dobson broke through the Green Machine’s defence and passed to van Egmond, who took her chance with a half-volley from the edge of the box. The ball hit the crossbar before finding the back of the net and granting City with an impressive fourth goal.

The result secures City’s seventh straight win with Vidosic’s side going for 410 minutes without conceding a goal. 

What’s next?

City are back at home, hosting Newcastle Jets in a blockbuster double header at AAMI Park on Saturday 18 January, kick off 5:00pm, don’t miss it!

R15 banner