A-League Report: Brisbane 2-0 City


Melbourne City has failed to record back-to-back wins after going down to Brisbane Roar 2-0 on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium. 

An Adam Taggart double secured the result for the hosts as the fringe Socceroo made no mistake either side of the half. 

City’s attempts to get back into the match fell at the final hurdle as the visitors left Suncorp Stadium empty handed.

Team News

Luke Brattan returned to the side after sitting out the last match, slipping into his regular position in the midfield as Lachie Wales filled the void at the number nine position. Ramy Najjarine and Anthony Caceres were added to the bench to complete the final 15.

What Happened

An uncharacteristically cooler night welcomed both sides at Suncorp Stadium with both sides having chances in the opening 25 minutes.

City best moment came after 24 minutes as a masterful ball from Luke Brattan found the feet of Florin Berenguer inside the area as he propped for goal. His effort – through defensive legs – forced a sharp, low stop from Jamie Young as the Roar cleared the danger.

It was the hosts however who found the breakthrough after 27 minutes as a set piece routine from a corner found Taggart at the near post. His run shed the tag of Nathaniel Atkinson as his flick-on found its way past Galekovic into the back of the net.

The Roar had a chance to double the lead minutes later through the same man however his strike was off-target, seeing both sides enter the break level.

It was a lively start from the visitors to the second half and Warren Joyce’s side almost had their avenue back into the match two minutes after the interval.

A strong run from Wales saw the youngster in on goal as his blistering effort rocketed off Young’s near post and away to safety.

City’s ascendancy had been wiped away after 66 minutes as Taggart bagged his brace with a clinical finish. The striker found an inch insider the penalty area as he curled his effort into the top corner to double his side’s lead.

The Roar continued to look dangerous on the break as the visitors looked to find the back of the net as City kept the ball well with no real chances. Shots on goal from Berenguer and substitute Anthony Caceres sent warning signs however City were made to leave Suncorp Stadium empty handed.

City will look to bounce back next Sunday as they face Newcastle Jets at AAMI Park, kick-off 7pm.