A-League Report: Central Coast 1-1 City


membership banner

Melbourne City was made to settle for a point on the road on Saturday night as it came from behind to pick up a 1-1 draw with Central Coast Mariners.

Former City man Ross McCormack opened the scoring for the hosts however after over 20 shots on goal, City broke the deadlock through Dario Vidosic in the final ten minutes to secure a point for Warren Joyce’s side.

Team News

Riley McGree returned to the starting side, replacing Anthony Caceres in the middle of the park. Scott Jamieson and Dario Vidosic took their spot on the bench after returning from injury and illness respectively.

What happened

A timid start from both sides saw the Mariners take a defensive mindset to the match as they held Brisbane Roar last week with success in their season opener.

Like their first match, the Mariners opened the scoring first as a poor clearance from Iacopo La Rocca saw Connor Pain slot McCormack in on goal. The Scot made no mistake from close range to punish the error, a feat that City were wary of after his stint at the Club last season.

The dogged defending from the Mariners frustrated City as they pushed for an avenue back into the match.

City had their best chance of the first half after 24 minutes as Bruno Fornaroli had a guilt-edged chance to peg one back. A wonderful through ball from Lachlan Wales was played into the path of the Uruguayan as he blazed his effort from close range over the bar.

City continued to push for an avenue back into the match but also had Eugene Galekovic to thank to prevent McCormack from completing his brace on the stroke of half time. The Scot’s curling free-kick towards the goalkeeper’s side was parried away by the custodian as he ensured both side would go into the break level.

It was a muted opening to the second as City struggled to find a clear avenue on goal despite having the lion share of possession.

A double change that injected Jamieson and Griffiths into the match and the eventual entrance of Vidosic sparked things for City as the avenue to goal became clearer.

City were finally rewarded for their persistence after 84 minutes as three attempts on goal finally trickled into the back of the net as Vidosic’s strike on the edge of the six yard box squeezed through Ben Kennedy on the Mariners’ goal line.

Fornaroli had the chance to pinch all three points for City in the final minute of injury time however City were made to settle for a point on the road to maintain their unbeaten start to the season.

What’s next

City return to AAMI Park for their first home match of the season as they take on Sydney FC in a blockbuster double header. Get your tickets for the match today!