Match Report: City 0-4 Western Sydney


Melbourne City FC has suffered defeat in it’s first game in the South East, going down 0-4 at the hands of Western Sydney.

Starting XI

Rado Vidosic made two changes to the starting line-up that took to the pitch against the same opponent a couple of weeks ago.

Tyla-Jay Vlajnic came straight back into the starting line-up after returning from suspension, pushing Samantha Johnson to the substitutes bench.

Goalkeeper Teagan Micah missed her first game of the season due to a slight knee injury which meant Melissa Barbieri came into the XI to make her first appearance since 2017.

What happened?

City were on the backfoot from the get-go in its first game at Frank Holohan Reserve with the visitors controlling all of the possession early.

Barbieri was called into action early in her first W-League match since 2017, and produced a strong save to deny Georgia Yeoman-Dale’s attempt in the sixth minute.

The Wanderers had the opener in the 12th with Bryleeh Henry getting on the end of a Teigan Collister cross and finding the back of the net.

City begun to settle after conceding and were able to maintain possession for longer, with the interplay between Tori Tumeth and Alex Chidiac down the right-hand side the highlight.

Unfortunately though, this didn’t translate into clear-cut scoring chances and the momentum begun to swing back in the Wanderers direction.

Barbieri once again pulled off a strong save to deny Yeoman-Dale, this time diving to her right to keep out the attackers attempt from outside the box.

Despite Henry scoring her second to double the Wanderers advantage in the 26th minute, 16-year-old Naomi Chinnama looked strong and assured in her defensive duties in her second start for City.

City’s best chance of the opening 45 minutes came in the 40th via an Emma Checker header from a set piece, but Wanderers keeper Sarah Willacy got down quickly to save comfortably.

From kick-off in the second half, City immediately looked a different team and were much more creative in their forward moves with Hollie Palmer at the centre of everything.

She found space down the right and was able to find Chidiac with her cross, but City’s number 9 couldn’t direct the header goal-ward.

After being subbed on at half-time, Samantha Johnson found space in the box from a 68th minute corner and went close to pulling one back for City but her header ultimately went over the bar.

City pushed hard to try and find a way back into the game but none were forthcoming and the only remaining goals left in the game went to the Wanderers.

City did look to have scored in added time after a scramble in the box following a corner but the referee waved it away and ruled that it didn’t cross the line.

What’s next?

Fans won’t have to wait long to see the City women back in action as they will play off a two-day turnaround and return to the pitch on Sunday afternoon.

We will face Newcastle for the first time this season in a fixture that will be played at Kingston Heath (home of Bentleigh Greens).

This clash will kick off at 4.05pm, click here to get your tickets!

Membership new