Match Report: Perth 0-1 City


Melbourne City FC has recorded back-to-back victories in the Westfield W-League, beating Perth 0-1 away from home in Captain Emma Checker’s 100th game.

It was a dominant performance from City which was sealed in the 67th minute with the winner coming from the boot of Rhali Dobson.

Starting XI

Coming off the back of a 1-0 win at home to Newcastle last Sunday, Head Coach Rado Vidosic elected to stick with the same starting line-up.

What happened?

City got off to a fast start, settling the better of two teams at Dorrien Gardens.

Tori Tumeth was involved early causing trouble down the right hand side, while fellow defender Jenna McCormick had a chance to open the scoring in just the second minute but saw her header go over the bar.

City pressed hard, not allowing their opposition the luxury of having time on the ball, and this paid off as the visitors were able to consistently force turnovers in the opening half hour.

Alex Chidiac had a chance to find the opener for City after she was found with a nice ball across goal from Dobson, but the midfielder couldn’t find the back of the net – her shot going wide of the post.

Tumeth continued to look dangerous for City and the defence looked strong, with Perth having trouble breaking it down and not able to create any genuine scoring chances in the first half.

City dominated the early stages of the second half with Chidiac looking the most dangerous in the front third.

Possession all went the way of City and after having a few chances to score, the deadlock was broken in the 67th minute.

Unsurprisingly Chidiac was involved, playing Rhali Dobson through on goal with a smart ball and the winger would make no mistake – side-footing into the back of the net to give City the lead.

Despite taking the lead, City didn’t take its foot off the pedal and continued to push on as it looked to double its advantage.

Although City continued to push hard with Tumeth having a good chance to score her first W-League goal, the scoreline would remain 0-1 until the referee blew her final whistle to seal a second City win in as many games.

What’s next?

City’s W-League season will conclude next Thursday when it once again takes on the Glory.

This time around we’ll be at home, hosting the West Australian side at Frank Holohan Reserve next Thursdy night. Tickets are still available, click here to get yours now!