Match Report: Western Sydney 0-2 City

City has finished its A-League Women regular season campaign in style, running away 2-0 winners away to Western Sydney on Sunday.

This win sets up a blockbuster finale for the season, with City going top of the table, meaning an Adelaide United win over Sydney FC would hand City its third Premiership.

Starting XI

Head Coach Rado Vidosic made three changes to his line-up for Sunday’s crucial fixture.

Caitlin Karic, Chelsea Blissett and Meisha Westland all returned to the XI, with Tyla-Jay Vlajnic and Leticia McKenna moving to the bench, while Rebekah Stott was rested.

What happened?

City got off to a strong start and dominated all of the early possession as the Wanderers struggled to string passes together thanks to the visitors strong press.

The hard-working Rhianna Pollicina and Leah Davidson were as influential as ever in the middle of the pitch as City pressed to open scoring.

Despite all of its early possession, City couldn’t fashion a proper attempt on goal until the 21st minute when Pollicina received the ball with a head full of steam.

A classy dribble saw the midfielder fake out two Wanderers defenders before a perfectly placed strike found the back of the net via the inside of the post.

Although the Wanderers were able to see a bit more of the ball later in the opening half, some stoic defending from the likes of Winonah Heatley and Chelsea Blissett made sure Melissa Barbieri wouldn’t have much to do in goal prior to the half-time whistle.

The second half got off to a much more even start, with City having to fight hard for scoring chances against a much improved Wanderers line-up.

Despite the Wanderers seeing a little more of the ball, City’s defence continue to hold up strong and ensured the home team could create very little in their front third.

Tori Tumeth almost became an unlikely goalscorer in the 50th minute, meeting Blissett’s cross from the corner with a powerful header that flashed just over the bar.

City began to create more and more chances as the second half wore on and the Wanderers tired, and eventually would double its lead in the 73rd.

Hannah Wilkinson used her pace to get ahead of the defender and cooly finished past the oncoming goalkeeper to find the back of the net for the 11th time this season, setting a new Club record.

The chances didn’t dry up there for City, with Pollicina, Leticia McKenna and Wilkinson again going close in the latter stages.

Despite a plethora of late opportunities, the scoreline would remain at 2-0 when the final whistle sounded.

What’s next?

City players, staff and fans alike will all eagerly be awaiting the result of Sunday afternoon’s clash between Adelaide and Sydney FC. A win to Adelaide would see City secure its third A-League Women Premiers Plate and mean City hosts Sydney FC in next weekend’s semi-final.

On the other hand, a win to the Sky Blues will see City on the road to face the same opponent in a semi-final.