No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled
No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled

Please update your browser

Unfortunately you cannot view this website on the current version of your browser. Please either update your browser or use an alternative browser.

May 18, 2022   |  10:02PM AET

SF First Leg Match Report: Adelaide 0-0 City

SF First Leg Match Report: Adelaide 0-0 City

Melbourne City FC kicked off its 2022 Finals campaign with a scoreless draw away to Adelaide United.

Both sides had periods of dominance throughout the game, though neither could find the finishing touch when it mattered most.

You won’t want to miss the second leg at AAMI Park. Click here to get your tickets and be there to cheer on your City boys!

Team News

Patrick Kisnorbo made just one change to the XI from City’s Premiership winning match against Wellington last week, with Curtis Good returning from suspension in place of Rostyn Griffiths.

What happened?

It was the home side who started the faster of the two teams, with Adelaide even winning a corner inside the first 40 seconds of the contest.

Plenty of big challenges flew in throughout a fiery start, with Adelaide controlling the early stages before City begun to build momentum later in the half – illustrated by the visitors having the last six shots of before the break.

Jamie Maclaren had City’s first real sight of goal in the 24th and did well to get some power behind his effort while under pressure on a tight angle, but he couldn’t find a way past Joe Gauci who did well to come up with the save.

It was Connor Metcalfe forcing another save just minutes later, the midfielder unleashing a powerful strike from outside the box to force a full stretch save from the Reds keeper.

Nuno Reis was solid in all phases of the game throughout the first half, asking questions with his trademark cross-pitch long balls, while being as strong as every defensively.

It was almost a dream start to the second half for City, some quality interplay down the right-hand side between Andrew Nabbout and Carl Jenkinson ending with the latter firing a cross into the box for Maclaren who couldn’t quite get the crucial touch.

Overall, it was an even second half from there as both sides looked to find the all-important first goal. Tom Glover was called into action a few times and although no spectacular saves were required, he looked strong and deserved the clean sheet.

Nabbout had one of City’s best chances of the night in the 75th minute, bullying his way into the box and ratting the upright with a powerful strike under plenty of pressure on a tight angle.

Leckie was next to put the Adelaide defence under pressure, having chances to find the back of the net twice in the dying stages. The winger first hit an attempt straight at Gauci, then pulled off a delightful volley in the 85th minute to force a spectacular save from the keeper, the last chance before the whistle blew to end the first leg.

What’s next?

You won’t have to wait long for the second leg, as teams are set to do battle again this Sunday afternoon at AAMI Park. Don’t miss City’s home leg with the all-important Grand Final spot on the line!